Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Camping Trip Summer 2012

      Friday we left for Jay Cooke State Park near Duluth. I had dragged my feet at first but eventually kinda got into the excitement of it all and decided to go. We got to the campground and decided on campsite #36 and actually set up before dark for once which is totally shocking! By this time I was on a low and I was kind of being miserable. The fire wouldn't start 'cause the wood we had bought at the little store in Thomson just outside of Jay Cooke was wet and it only smoked. Finally the fire was started enough to cook the beans and hamburger, a camping tradition for us. Us girls shared a tent and mom and dad and John shared the other.
       Saturday morning after a hot breakfast of Pancakes and hamburgers and eggs and a hot shower, I felt better. We went to see the dam a little ways from the park and the water was amazingly high, dad wanted to compare it to the water down by the swinging bridge in the park. So we looked at both. Then came back and had a hot meal over the campfire again.
      Sunday was our last day camping, we didn't do a whole lot though later in the day the family went hiking for a few hours, I stayed back at the campsite alone and read and worked on a letter for my cousin. Sunday night Sarah was carving and the knife slipped and stabbed the inside of her thigh maybe 6 inches above her knee. We helped her into the tent so that mom could look at it, as she pulled away the blood soaked paper towels so we could bandage it with the tape stitches the park ranger had given to dad, the sight of the wound made me shudder! Mom had originally asked me to pinch the sides together but I shrank back at the thought and suggested maybe Sarah should since she could gauge her own pain and I couldn't. So eventually she got up the courage and pinched it together so that mom could put the stitch on then cover the remainder of the wound with salve and a bandage. Sarah had to change because the sweatpants she'd been wearing were blood soaked. I helped her get her clean ones on over her feet.
      "My poor decrepit bones!" she joked and I laughed ruefully thinking how brave she was, the whole idea of the pain made me sick to my stomach and fight back tears as she was moaning with the pain. She's still hobbling a bit from it but she refuses stitches and though I keep scolding her for walking around on it she doesn't listen very well, I found her downstairs when I went to find her for lunch, (mom didn't want her doing the stairs because the butterfly bandages she has on comes unstuck with too much motion) she was sitting playing with the kittens and when I admonished her for it she complained she was bored! Poor girl!
       Monday we packed up and headed for home taking a long cut through Duluth, we stopped at our favorite wayside rest for a grand finale picnic of sorts with a bunch of the left overs we had. We headed for home at maybe 5 and didn't get home until 10:30 or 11:00, the trip usually only takes 3 hours.
      So anyways here are some pictures from the trip, some mom took some I took. Hope you enjoy ;)

Starting the fire

The water at the dam



The water was a lot higher than we've ever seen it before, it was pretty amazing


The beautiful Sarah! <3


Some pretty flowers that caught my attention by the bridge over the dam

I've always had a fascination with flowers growing in rocks or rocky areas

Water under the bridge


I liked the way the bridge looked, just a large metal frame but so cool anyways! :)

The beautiful, rugged St. Louis River


Mr. Charming ;)

She was begging for this picture with her pose <3

'Mouse'

Under the bridge


The dam


In my letter to my cousin I wrote 'How to describe the tri-toned, caramel colored turbulence topped with glittering, pure white foam...I feel it misting my face though it is far below...'

The bridge again


Mary next to the sign at the dam




A gorgeous backdrop! :)

Two lovely smiles <3

Mom

Leave it to Ruth to find some sort of pet ((shudders))

This is the St. Louis River by the Swinging Bridge in Jay Cooke State Park






The swinging bridge. It's fun jumping on it as you go over :P 

And home again! The kids LOVE the trampoline that Aaron and Carrie brought over, and some of us older people have been enjoying it too. I think both mom and dad tried it out at least once and Lizzy. Can't wait to get Rachael on it when she gets home! :P lol

And apparently these pictures are out of order. =0

This is back at the dam


Under the bridge



Lizzy :)



'Exploring' the little pools on the rocks by the swinging bridge



Not sure what just happened

Playing on the rocks at the park we stopped at for our picnic



This is what you see from the shore

I couldn't resist when I saw this single crow with the flock of seagulls, I caught him with only two of them here, the rest are a few feet down the rocks further or in the sky. ;)



And that's the end of the pictures for now. Everyone missed you Rachael! Make sure you're around for the next camping trip! ;)
Hope you all are enjoying the amazing weather! :)
Now to bed and my book... Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment