Forgiven
Skillet
Forgive me now cause I
Have been unfaithful
Don't ask me why cause I don't know
So many times I've tried
But was unable
But this heart belongs to You alone.
Now I'm in our secret place
Alone in Your embrace
Where all my wrongs have been erased
You have forgiven
All the promises and lies
All the times I compromise
All the times You were denied
You have forgiven.
Forgive me I'm ashamed
I've loved another
I can't explain cause I don't know
No one can take Your place
And there is no other
Forever Yours and Yours alone.
Now I'm in our secret place
Alone in your embrace
Where all my wrongs have been erased
You have forgiven
All the promises and lies
All the times I compromise
All the times you were denied
You have forgiven.
Take me to our secret place
We'll leave the world away
I get down on my knees
Feel your love wash over me
There will never be another
You're the only one forever
And you know I'm Yours alone.
Now I'm in our secret place
Alone in Your embrace
Where all my wrongs have been erased
You have forgiven
All the promises and lies
All the times I compromise
All the times you were denied
You have forgiven.
The Story Behind the Song...
The idea for this song came from a sermon I [John from Skillet] heard about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo, and in the story there's this giant idol they are told to bow down to but they won't do it. The speaker was making a correlation between that and us running to other idols in our lives, running to other things before we go to God.... What do we run to or do we run to God when life gets stressful.... We don't always view a lot of things as idols but the truth is, anything we put in our life that we run to before we run to God is an idol to us....
The other night I heard this song on the radio after hearing the testimony behind it, and the first verse brought tears to my eyes,
'Forgive me now 'cause I
Have been unfaithful,
Don't ask me why 'cause I don't know,
So many times I've tried,
But was unable,
But this heart belongs to You alone....'
There are so many things in my life, it seems, that I tend to run to instead of God, I hold onto earthly security and comfort when God's longing for me to come to him.
For me, it has always seemed like idolatry was actually worshiping idols like in foreign countries, but idolatry is just as much here in America where we hold things like money, our jobs, music, career, fame, even people before God, and we hardly even realize or notice it.
Wow!!!! This is powerful!
ReplyDeleteGood thoughts, Anna! It's easy to excuse ourselves because we intimately understand our own weakness and needs,and are expert at excusing ourselves, but I was thinking today of that verse, "God was not in all their thoughts..." and how that sums up fallenness, not how sinful and evil we are but rather how unaware of God - how much we ignore Him and seek other things. Thanks for sharing. It's always a blessing to get a peak into your thoughts. Mom
ReplyDeleteThat is so insightful--and rather convicting. I find it easy to hoard my time for myself, as if my comfort is more important than God's agenda. Thank you for the reminder to Keep Him first. Love you, Grandma
ReplyDelete