I happened across the link to this blog post on a friend's Facebook wall. She's got some really good points that maybe we need to consider. I was with a friend last night helping her bring her kid around trick or treating. Bemidji was really really dead in comparison to most Halloween nights and a good percent of the houses were dark. I kind of had mixed feelings about participating in the events. I'm not totally sure what I think about Halloween, I've been raised strictly against it but I thought that these posts kind of put a new light on it and the people who celebrate it, for me. The author of this blog is by no means condoning the holiday, but her response to the way Christians respond to the holiday made me really think. What are your thoughts?
I also want to strictly avoid "celebrating" Halloween, but I also think that this is a time that we have people voluntarily coming into the sphere of our world, why not use this time to be kind, but also be truthful! I was caught a little flat-footed this year, but next year I am going to light this house up and cast a huge shadow of the cross over it. We will give treats to those who come, but we will also say who/what we are really celebrating! The victory of Christ over the darkness.
ReplyDeleteI appreciated her insights and agree with the idea that we use every opportunity to reach out to our neighbors and that we have nothing to fear with Christ's overcoming power. On the other hand, I still won't be "celebrating" the holiday with my children - On the other hand, there may be ways to find it an opportunity for touching the lives around us. Living back where we do, with no nearby neighbor children it really wasn't an issue since we moved here. It's easy to just ignore the holiday, but I like the idea of potatoes - seeing the true need and seeking to meet it. I love you! Mom
ReplyDelete