Sunday, June 8, 2014

Dying

He's drowning, each time he resurfaces gasps for one last breath before being sucked back into death's grip, he's thinking this is it. By some miracle his friend sees his danger and adrenaline propels him against the current to the boat and drags it back the 15 feet to the drowning man. One more time going down and he would have been done. Watching from the shore, utterly helpless are his brother and sister in law.
The scene that seemed to last years is over in minutes.
When he talks about it now I tear up. The realization that we came that close to losing him is horrifying. Sobering.
When you stare death in the face and survive it shakes you to the core.
One night late I was driving my drunk friend home, she waspassed out in the passenger seat.I crossed a highway after looking both ways and seeing no one. I was hardly to the other side when headlights sped past me in my rearview mirror. I hadn't seen them and I barely missed them. Impact like that would have killed her for sure maybe both of us.
People die every day in the least expected ways and moments. You can't go through life fearing death but it should make you think. Are you ready? If you died today would you be ready to meet your Maker?
His mercy amazes me, extending grace day by day telling death "they are not ready yet don't take their soul I'm not done with them."
How many chances will He give us though? How many times will He intercede? Death is not something to take lightly. Its never too early to be ready tomorrow is not guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment