Friday, November 25, 2011

Where's the love?

I heard a song on the radio station the other day and one phrase really stuck out to me about practicing what you preach and I liked the chorus and so I decided to look up the lyrics. When I finally got around to it my mind blanked but I finally got on the right track and found the lyrics and they really made me think...


Where Is the Love?
Black Eyed Peas
What's wrong with the world, mama
People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think the whole world addicted to the drama
Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma
Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin'
In the USA, the big CIA
The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah
Badness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how angers works and operates
Nigga, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek
Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love?

It just ain't the same, always unchanged
New days are strange, is the world insane
If love and peace is so strong
Why are there pieces of love that don't belong
Nations droppin' bombs
Chemical gasses fillin' lungs of little ones
With the ongoin' sufferin' as the youth die young
So ask yourself is the lovin' really gone
So I could ask myself really what is goin' wrong
In this world that we livin' in people keep on givin'
in
Makin' wrong decisions, only visions of them dividends
Not respectin' each other, deny thy brother
A war is goin' on but the reason's undercover
The truth is kept secret, it's swept under the rug
If you never know truth then you never know love
Where's the love, y'all, come on (I don't know)
Where's the truth, y'all, come on (I don't know)
Where's the love, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek
Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questioning
Where is the love?

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As I'm gettin' older, y'all, people gets colder
Most of us only care about money makin'
Selfishness got us followin' our own direction
Wrong information always shown by the media
Negative images is the main criteria
Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria
Kids wanna act like what they see in the cinema
Yo', whatever happened to the values of humanity
Whatever happened to the fairness in equality
Instead in spreading love we spreading animosity
Lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' under
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' down
There's no wonder why sometimes I'm feelin' under
Gotta keep my faith alive till love is found

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek?
Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love?

1 Corinthians 13 says...

 1 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
 4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
 8 Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! 9 Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! 10 But when full understanding comes, these partial things will become useless.
 11 When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 12 Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.
 13 Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.


I think about love a lot, I talk about love, and how it could fix problems, if people loved each other and understood each other! I want to show love to others, but when I read this passage I realize how much I fail! Mostly because I try to do it myself. I can't truly love others unless I open up and let God love others through me. 
I look around me like "Where is the love? What's up with this world? Everyone's hating on each other! We're supposed to love!". But just looking at the problem and going 'why is nobody fixing it?' isn't going to help!
Love starts with me! It starts by letting Jesus love through me, by holding my tongue instead of making an unnecessary comment, by not losing my temper when a sibling is annoying me, building others up instead of tearing them down! 
It's not enough to talk about love, I need to put love into action! I need to love the people God has put in my life right now! Nothing is accomplished by hating! 
 'Three things will last forever-- faith, hope and love--and the greatest of these is love!' 

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts, Anna. Couldn't bear to listen to the whole song but I read and liked the lyrics and it reminds us how much the world is longing for peace and love and since we know Love personified (Jesus) we have what they are looking for. But like you said, it is lived out here and now in my own messy world, letting the love and light of Jesus flow through me, not submitting to my flesh and feelings. I appreciated your thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete